Friday, April 5, 2013

I haven't been feeling well the last couple of days which is why I haven't posted.  I took a break from exercising for two days and today I'll get back at it.

On Tuesday evening I started my Learn To Run class at the YMCA.  We did a fitness test to see where we are physically.  We will be running for the next 6 weeks and then retest ourselves on week 8.  If you're looking to keep track of your physical improvements, here are some of the components of the fitness test.  You can do them and then retest yourself after several weeks of exercise to see how you've improved.  For overall physical fitness, it is a better way to judge improvements rather than the number on the scale.

1) Abdominal strength - Hold a plank position for as long as you can.  Make sure your butt is level with your body.  When you can hold it no longer, mark your time.  I was able to hold mine for 1 minute, 45 seconds. (Don't compare yourself to me! I'm putting my numbers down so I can remember my times and see how I improved.)

2) Leg strength - Do as many squats as you can in a row.  Make sure you have proper form and do not let your knees go overtop of your toes.  I did 90 squats (and my legs were KILLING me for two days afterwards!)

3) Endurance - Hop on a treadmill and run or walk 1km as fast as you can. If your treadmill is in miles go to a distance of .62 miles. I finished my kilometer in 6 minutes and 14 seconds.

4) Heart rate - Do step ups for 3 minutes.  This one is not a race.  Pick an easy pace that you can sustain for 3 minutes.  After your finished, count your heart beats for 1 minute.  My heart rate was 150 beats.

5) Flexibility - Laying flay on the floor, bend one knee and then bring the other leg straight in the air above you.  Grab hold of your leg and pull towards your torso, keeping your leg straight.  You wan to check the angle of your leg.  Mark down if you are less than 90 degrees, at 90 degrees or greater than 90 degrees (most flexible).  I was greater than 90 degrees.

If you've been thinking about starting to run/jog, there are many great apps out there that you can use to get you going.  The one I really like is called Get Running and it has a picture of a running shoe.  If I remember correctly, it only cost a few dollars and I think it was worth it.  It starts you off at short running intervals with walking in between and you slowly increase your running time.  It also allows you to play music over top of the program.

Today I'm going to go for a run outside (3kms), walk the dogs (5.5kms), do an arm workout and some abs as well.  What are you doing today?

No comments:

Post a Comment